Sunday, August 21, 2011

I Can't Wrap My Mind Around This...

Note: This is mainly geared towards Christians, but if you were a former Christian and would like to give your opinion, please do. Just keep it civil. ;)

I've been reading Randy Alcorn's Heaven and have been trying to get through most of it before school starts, which is this week on the 22nd, but when I came across his answer to the ? "If Our Loved Ones Are in Hell, Won't That Spoil Heaven?" I'm only going to leave the first part of it, though I'll also leave a citation so those of you who want to can go read it for yourself. I should say that I don't agree with Alcorn on everything, but it's been an okay read up until this point, and this is the point I can make no sense of at all:

"Many people have lost loved ones who didn't know Christ. Some people argue that people in Heaven won't know Hell exists. But this would make Heaven's joy dependent on ignorance, which is nowhere taught in Scripture.

So, how could we enjoy Heaven knowing that a loved one is in Hell? J. I. Packer offers an answer that is difficult but blibical:

'God the Father (who now pleads with mankind to accept the reconciliation that Christ's death secured for all) and God the Son (our appointed Judge, who wept over Jerusalem) will in a final judgement express wrath and administer justice against rebellious humans. God's holy righteousness will hereby be revealed; God will be doing the right thing, vindicating himself at last against all who have defiled him....(Read through Matt. 25; John 5:22-29; Rom. 2:5-16, 12:19; 2 Thess. 1:7-9; Rev. 18:1-19:3, 20:11-15, and you will see that clearly.) God will judge justly, and all angels, saints, and martyrs will praise him for it. So it seems inescapable that we shall, with them, approve the judgement of persons--rebels--whom we have known and loved.'" (361, Ch. 36)

Alcorn, Randy C. Heaven. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House, 2004. Print.

Source Alcorn was quoting from: J. I. Packer, "Hell's Final Enigma," Christianity Today (April 22, 2002): 84

Now, the book does have some sectarianism to it, as he does quote from John Piper and Jonathan Edwards quite often. But he also often quotes from C.S. Lewis, St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas at times. So, while Alcorn does seem like the Calvinist evangelical type, he's not necessarily writing from that perspective, although he does say that a lot of this is his own opinion and speculation. But I was wondering what other people's opinions are, as this one (as said before) just doesn't make any sense to me.

For those of you who are tagged and are RCC, Orthodox or Anglican, you can quote from other sources such as the CCC (I even have my own copy of the CCC, and there's one online, so I can check it out myself. Just so you know, so you don't end up quoting full pages), as I still recognize them as legit, even though I still consider myself Protestant.


No comments:

Post a Comment