Sunday, April 22, 2012

Quotes 23

"Man's meanest weapon is to shed tears when rapiers stir the coals of war."-Unknown

"The path to our own destruction may lie less in the weapons we conceive than the violence in our hearts."-The Outer Limits (remake) narrator (Season 6, Ep. 2, "The Gun")

"There is an old proverb that says, 'Be careful what you wish for...,' and if that wish is immortality, it is something you will have to live with...for a very...long...time."
-The Outer Limits (remake) Narrator (Season 1, Ep. 3, "Blood Brothers")

"Before we allow ourselves to be consumed by our regrets, we should remember...the mistakes we make in life are not so important as the lessons we draw from them."-The Outer Limits (remake) Narrator (S.2, Ep. 4: "Last Supper")

Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for these desires exists. A baby feels hunger; well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim; well there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire; well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. –C.S. Lewis

"In a world of terrors, there is nothing more fearsome than the unknown, especially when what is unknown is ourselves."-Outer Limits (reboot) Narrator, "S. 4 Ep. 12 "Fear Itself"

"Dass es einen Gott gibt, dafur lass ich mir den Kofp abschlagen (Even if you were to knock my head off, God would still exist)."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Being alive isn't always the win. I have no compunction about killing any man or woman who has a gun pointed anywhere near my soldiers. I've been there too many times trying to patching wounds to care much about anybody besides my troops when rounds are flying. I'll go back over next time I'm told to. Doesn't make it easy to sleep.
Regardless the cause of a war, who sent us there, or when; you just hope you made a difference. Live like it was worth it and bring your guys home. Is it winning if you live and have to go back again? Its not always action, not always blood, not always pretty, it never makes sense at the time. Its just life.
This movie was fairly close to the mark for the feel of some of my experiences. Good job."-cdigby reviewing "Saints and Soldiers," posted March 2, 2009

"What is government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature?"-James Madison

"I wonder why it is that we findsome days so much more oppressive than others, for no apparent reason. Is it growing pains---or spiritual trial? Once they're over, the world looks quite a different place again."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in a letter to Bethge from Tegel Prison

"Only he who cries out for the Jews may sing Gregorian chants."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Absolute seriousness is never without a dash of humor."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The essence of chastity is not the suppression of lust, but the total orientation of one's life towards a goal. Without such a goal, chastity is bound to become ridiculous. Chastity is the sine qua non of lucidity and concentration."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Death is the supreme festival on the road to freedom."-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

‎"The greatest way I have found to pray is to simply speak to God, adoring Him for His attributes and the works of His hands--not in repetition, but focusing on one or two as the Spirit seems to want to highlight or what I am praying about (Redeemer, Provider, etc.). Then speaking to Him about what I'm dealing with, asking for His wisdom and waiting for Him to speak or a verse of Scripture. Recognizing the ability and awesome privlege to come before His throne through the work of Jesus and that I am praying in the name of Jesus." Jackie Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment