Thursday, April 5, 2012

Journal #4 Intro to ET


Topic #6: What do you fear?
            At first, it is difficult to name anything that I fear. Fear seems to be relative to a situation. For example, when lightning strikes and you are close to it, then you may be afraid of being struck. Lightning does scare me, but only when it is close by. People also often say that they are not afraid of death. The problem is when they state this they are usually not in immediate danger of death, at least in my experience. There are those who accept death, but accepting death despite being afraid of it seems to be the definition of bravery. Besides that, I do not think being afraid of death is a bad thing, as it can keep us alive.
            At present, I should say that I do not fear death, but isn’t that because I am not in immediate danger of it? It seems that way. In my opinion, there is also such a thing as rational fear. Is it irrational to fear for your life when it is in danger? I do not think so. But what about the things we cannot verify empirically, such as hell? I think it is rational to fear hell, even if it is just because of the nature of hell. One might think it irrational to fear something we cannot verify empirically, but that we cannot verify it empirically does not seem to make the fear irrational, nor does it seem to imply the thing in question is imaginary. So, as far as what I fear, it seems that I could fear something that is a cause of danger, such as lightning or death. But it is also possible I could fear something I cannot verify empirically, such as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment