Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Am Now Convinced Education is Irrelevant

I almost thought about making a YT video conveying this, but it's late and I've put off other things that I need to be doing because my mind keeps being occupied with this.

I've met a few interesting people in college. I've met a college history prof who's an expert on Native American History/Culture. I've met an astronomy prof who's seen Galileo's original work of "A Dialog Concerning Two Chief World Systems" and his "Confession" to the Jesuits in Italian at the Vatican (Note 1: He had a friend there, which allowed him to go "backstage." Note 2: I don't care who they are, if any documentary or teacher told you that it was "Galileo v. the church" or vice versa, they're BSing to your face.)

I've also found a lot of weird people as well. Zeitgeist fans. People who claim that Darwin renounced his theory on his death bed (denounced by AiG and other YECs).

...and it's not just this generation either, as a January 1971 survey (that was put in "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" by James Loewen, a criticism of over a dozen high school history textbooks) showed that college students had 60% doves, 40% hawks, as opposed to HS which had 75% doves, 25% hawks, and grade school which had 80% doves, and 20% hawks.

Anyways, while waiting for my last class, I ran into a guy (who happens to be in the same class) who saw that I was reading "Creation" (which is a bio of Charles Darwin, but which he took to be a creationist book which you'll see later). He asked me if it was a good book, and I said that it was.

Then he asked me something you probably would've guessed by now.

"Have you ever heard of 'Dr.' Kent Hovind?"

Not noticing that he said "Dr.," I simply replied yes. Then he asked me if I liked him, which I obviously replied "No."

Then he asked "Why not?"

I was on the verge of saying "because he's a fraud," but then I remembered he put the word, "Dr." in front of "Kent Hovind." Then I simply looked at him after that...

[at this point, a lot of things were going through my mind, but you can insert whatever you think I was thinking here]

He then went on to say that Hovind "makes a lot of good points" and that I should go watch his debates and visit his website.

What's worse is that I later let him look at the book I was reading, in which he got the impression that it was "anti-creationist" (which a lot of books on Darwinian evo are, though more are implicitly).

The problem here is this:

A) This guy doesn't seem to be the fundamentalist/VFX type at all, and simply seemed to run into the wrong crowd. Although, I don't want to tell him Kent Hovind is a fraud in a condescending/mean-spirited way. I have no idea how to tell this guy that Kent Hovind is a fraud in a non-condescending/non-mean spirited way.

What's worse?

B) now that I showed him the book, he said he prefers "creationist" stuff over "anti-creationist" stuff. So, anything that's Darwinian in nature (like "Finding Darwin's God") or even Atheistic in nature (like Talk Origins or Infidels, et al.) is out of the question in terms of showing it to him, as he's not going to read it anyways. I'm not completely sure, but he might have got the impression that I'm "anti-creationist."

So, if any of you guys happen to know any source (preferably Christian and/or conservative) that shows Kent Hovind is a fraud in as non-biased/non-condescending manner as possible, could you please post it in a comment, as well as how to tell it to him without being condescending myself.

That would be incredibly appreciated. You have no idea how much thanks you would have for that.

As far as YT, I might make some tag videos soon. However, I'm really too bogged down by assignments and college to make scripts for YT responses (which I have to do a lot of) and the questions video I've had to put off due to summer school and the fall semester.

God Bless all of you. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment