Friday, March 9, 2012

Journal #3 Intro to Eastern Thought


Topic #6: Krishna’s Proverb
            “Abandoning all attachment to the results of his activities, ever satisfied and independent, he performs no fruitive action, although engaged in all kinds of undertakings. (Bhagavad Gita 4:20)
                At first this verse seems like a complete paradox, if not a contradiction. As I am writing this without first looking at it is full context, this more my personal short reflection rather than a discerning of what Krishna probably really meant. Still, I hope it is satisfying enough as more of a stream of consciousness journal entry.
                To me, rather than saying that a person is doing nothing, but at the same time doing many things, it is meant to convey a kind of mindfulness. Instead of undertaking actions just for their results, a person is living from moment to moment and is “satisfied and independent” of judgment or selfish gain. Once could say this person is content, no matter the situation or the results of a particular action.
                However, it could also refer to a kind of internal struggle. In taking no action, one is engaged in introspection and, again, engaged in mindfulness. Although, this would be the more internal sort, where instead of judging thoughts and thinking about all a person could gain, on the inside they’re satisfied with what they’ve got. Instead of worrying about tomorrow, they accomplish much by being focused and satisfied with every moment of today.
                Since this is almost through, I should say I do plan on reading the BG when I get the chance.  Seems to be a pretty good work from the excerpts, and I think I could learn much from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment