Note: Only blogging under R&P since there is no "S&R" category. Also I got these from a booklet, so there is a source but there doesn't appear to be any copyright protection so I won't take up space with citation. Please give kudos.
THE WONDER
OF THE
UNIVERSE
A Special Collection of Quotations
From Great Minds Throughout History
I can see how it migh be possible for a man
to look down upon earth and be an atheist,
but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens
and say there is no God.
-Abraham Lincoln
O Lord,
thou givest us everything, at the price of an effort.
-Leonardo Da Vinci
No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.
-Charles P. Steinmetz
If a book be false in facts, disprove them;
if false in its reasoning, refute it. But for God's sake,
let us freely hear both sides if we choose.
-Thomas Jefferson
Great thoughts come from the heart.
-Marquis de Vauvenargues
Curiosity is the thirst of the soul.
-Samuel Johnson
The visible order of the universe proclaims a surpreme intelligence.
-Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Science brings me nearer to God.
-Louis Pasteur
Truth between candid minds can never do harm.
-Thomas Jefferson
The visible marks of extraordinary wisdom and power
appear so plainly in all the works of the creation
that a rational creature, who will but seriously reflect on them,
cannot miss the discovery of a Deity.
-John Locke
As a house implies a builder, and a garment a weaver,
and a door a carpenter, so does the existence of the Universe
imply a Creator.
-Marquis de Vauvenargues
It is impossible to account for the creation of the universe
without the agency of a Surpreme Being.
-George Washington
From a knowledge of His work, we shall know Him.
-Robert Boyle
We cannot fathom the mystery of a single flower.
Nor is it intended that we should.
-John Locke
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand
is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
-Galileo Galilei
Of what I call God, And fools call Nature.
-Robert Browning
So irrestible are these evidences of an intelligent and powerful
Agent that, of the infinite numbers of men who have existed thro'
all the time, they have believed, in the proportion of a million at least
to Unit, in the hypothesis of an eternal pre-existence of a creator,
rather than in that of a self-existent Universe.
-Thomas Jefferson
Nature is the art of God.
-Dante Alighieri
The more I study nature,
the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator.
-Louis Pasteur
So much for "ignorant and evil" people with a "primitive superstition." Wouldn't you say?
No comments:
Post a Comment